Today is Ghana’s 63rd year of Independence! So in honour of this great occasion, here we have a Ghana inspired cake (Simple Vanilla sponge cake recipe available here)
To colour the buttercream, I have used ‘Wilton’s – gel paste food icing colouring’ in colours red, green and yellow and ‘Sugarflair’s – black extra max concentrated paste colouring’.
Preparation time: 15mins
- 500g of Unsalted butter (softened to room temp)
- 1kg Icing Sugar
- 10-50g Double cream
- 3tsp Vanilla extract
- Wilton’s gel paste food icing colouring
- Sugarflair’s black extra max concentrated paste colouring
- Van Houten – Intense Deep Black Cocoa Powder
- Whip the softened butter in the cake machine on high speed until light, pale and fluffy (5-6mins)
- Stop the machine and add in the icing sugar slowly. To avoid clouds of sugar when mixing, place a cloth over the machine before starting to combine the butter and sugar on low speed
- While mixing, add in the cream and vanilla flavouring and whip on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Tips to colour – red/yellow/green: separate the buttercream into equal parts. Add the colouring in small amounts using a toothpick and fold in using a spatula to maintain the consistency. Continue to add the gel colouring until you achieve the desired depth in colour.
- Tips to colour – black: add 3 teaspoons of cocoa powder to a fifth of the buttercream mixture. Add the black colouring in small amounts using a toothpick and fold in using a spatula to maintain the consistency. Continue to add the gel colouring until you achieve the desired depth in colour.