Ingredients (Serves 5-6):
- 1 large pack skinless chicken pieces (approx 500g) – I used skinless wings
- 3 large peeled diced white potatoes
- 3 large peeled diced carrots
- 1/2 large white onion or 1 small white onion diced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 packets Grace cock soup mix
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp pimento seeds
- 2 litres boiling water
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 350g plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1 tsp salt
- 300ml cold water
- Makes 12 dumplings
- Place the boiling water in a large pot and add in the onions, garlic, pimento seeds, salt, pepper, fresh thyme and dried herbs.
- Next add in the Grace cock soup mix, potatoes and carrots, and simmer for 10 minutes. After the time is up, add in the chicken pieces, and leave to simmer with the lid on. In the meantime you can make your dumplings – this should only take 5-10 minutes.
- To make your dumplings, add all of the ingredients into a bowl, and mix with a spoon until a dough starts to form and then proceed to knead the dough until it all comes together. Once kneaded, split the dough into 12 evenly sized pieces and continue to knead each piece well. When you are kneading your dumplings, you need to continue this process until you feel your dough start to become firm – this makes for the perfect dumpling consistency. Next, start to form your dumplings into balls, and then flatten them.
- Add your dumplings into your soup, and leave to simmer for a further 15-20 minutes.